Redeemer University College Science News

Friday, December 15, 2006

Copy Cat Kittens

Copy Cat, the world's first cloned cat, has had a litter of three kittens. The kittens were born in September and appear healthy. However, Copy Cat is not the first cloned cat to give birth. In New Orleans, two cloned wild African cats successfully mated to produce kittens.

Roslin Institute in Edinburgh cloned the first mammal, Dolly the sheep, in 1997. It died prematurely from progressive lung disease at the age of six.

Copy Cat was cloned in 2001 at Texas A&M University, which has also cloned cattle, swine, goats, horses and a deer.

The vast majority of cloning attempts fail. Copy Cat was the only live birth of the 2 pregnancies from 87 cloned cat embryos transferred into surrogate females. Also, cloning cannot be relied upon to create an identical copy of an animal. Because fur patterning is determined in the womb rather than by genes, Copy Cat does not look like her genetic mother.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the blog that you have. I was wondering if you would link my blog to yours and in return I would do the same for your blog. If you want to, my site name is American Legends and the URL is:

www.americanlegends.blogspot.com

If you want to do this just go to my blog and in one of the comments just write your blog name and the URL and I will add it to my site.

Thanks,
David